A big part of the reason that breast augmentation remains such a popular procedure is the satisfaction patients have with the results. At our cosmetic surgery office in Detroit, we get women with different body types, different goals for their procedure, and different “looks” they are trying to cultivate, but we are able to make breast augmentation work for all of them. Choosing the right breast implant size is an important part of this process.
If you are interested in breast augmentation surgery but don’t know what size is best for you, then it’s time to talk to a professional! Schedule an appointment with Birmingham Cosmetics to speak with our Detroit breast augmentation surgeon, Dr. Rouchdi Rifai. Contact us through this website, or by calling (248) 723-9370.
What Determines Your Ideal Implant Size?
When you are deciding on a breast implant size, it’s important to keep several factors in mind. The big questions you should ask yourself are how your breast implants will work with your body structure and your current lifestyle.
Some things to keep in mind when deciding on implant size:
- Physical activity– Do you run or lift weights regularly? Ask yourself if large implants would make this activity more difficult.
- Chest and shoulder width– This will determine how wide the base of your implants should be.
- Implant placement– An implant placed over the pectoral muscle will seem bigger than the same size implant placed underneath the muscle, but it may also look less natural.
- Implant material– The type of breast implant you get may also affect your sizing options. For example, saline may not be a good choice for large implants, as they are more likely to cause rippling at larger sizes.
- Breast symmetry– If your breasts are different sizes, you may wish to get a different size of implant in each breast to make them more symmetrical.
- Current breast size– If you don’t have enough breast tissue to surround an implant, that implant is too big for you to consider.
- Your ideal shape– Larger implants can make breasts noticeably more round. Some breast implant shapes can mitigate this effect.
If you have any concerns about these or other factors, feel to discuss them with Dr. Rouchdi. People with a wide variety of body types get breast implants, and we can always find a way to work within your specifications.
Before and After Your Surgery
During the consultation process, you have a sizing session where you will get a chance to try out various sizes of implants with the aid of a special bra. This will allow you to see what the results will look and feel like. Try experimenting with radically different sizes so you can figure out what works best for you!
After you have had your surgery, your implants will take a few months to settle into their natural shape. During the first few months, some patients start to second-guess their sizing decision, thinking that either they went too big or didn’t go big enough. During this period, it’s a good idea to let your body heal and get used to your new breasts, and the doubts will almost always go away. Of course, the best method for preventing any post-operative regrets is to spend plenty of time figuring out your ideal implant size.
If you want to figure out what size of breast implant will work best for you, contact Birmingham Cosmetic by calling us at (248) 723-9370 to set up an appointment. We serve patients in Detroit, Dundee, Southfield, Jackson, Port Huron, and the surrounding areas.