Cosmetic plastic surgery encompasses a range of surgical and non-surgical procedures used to reshape normal structures of the body in order to improve appearance and self-esteem. Because it is elective, cosmetic surgery is usually not covered by health insurance, but at Birmingham Cosmetic Surgery & Vein center, Detroit cosmetic surgeon Dr. Rifai offers a range of financing options to help you achieve your aesthetic goals at a reasonable cost.
One common misconception about plastic surgery is that it is named for its association with the use of man-made materials. In fact, its name actually predates the engineering of modern plastic by 70 years and is instead derived from the Greek word ‘plastikos,’ which means ‘to mold’ or ‘to give form’.
Here are a few interesting dates regarding the history of modern plastic surgery as we know it:
- 1895: The first documented breast augmentation surgery is performed.
- 1899: The first injectable breast implant materials include paraffin, beeswax and vegetable oil.
- 1910 – 1919: Innovative skin grafting techniques are developed, training facilities dedicated to plastic surgery are established and numerous maxillofacial surgical techniques are pioneered during WWI, all dramatically increasing the stature of the burgeoning field of plastic surgery.
- 1962: The first silicone breast implant is unveiled.
- 1982: Liposuction is offered to patients in the U.S.
- 2000-2009: Body contouring is introduced to assist with the removal and tightening of excess skin after massive weight loss.
Today, the field of plastic surgery continues to advance both technologically and artistically, offering patients some of the safest and most effective procedures to date.
If you are interested in learning more about how plastic surgery can improve your self-image, contact Birmingham Cosmetic Surgery at (248) 723-9370 to schedule a personal consultation with our Detroit cosmetic surgeon today.